The BFA Professional Photography Program at MSMU gives the student a hands-on experience from the first day of the first course.
The curriculum will provide the student with both the technical foundation skills and critical thinking tools that will help in shaping the students own unique vision. The Professional Photography faculty is made up of industry recognized photographers who have also been recognized for their ability to inspire students in the classroom. We are proud to have our program based in the heart of Hollywood at our Mount Saint Mary's studio.
The program integrates liberal arts, ethics, and professional business practices with a core photography and media production curriculum that prepares students for the creative business, and technical challenges of a professional photography career.
Available Program Formats
Learn more about our program formats and hear from our students about their unique experiences.
Weekend, Evening & Online
Choose your own schedule. Instruction takes place on select weekends, evenings, in-person or online. Combine all formats, or choose the one that works for you.
- Advertising Photographer
- Travel Photographer
- Lifestyle Photographer
- Food Photographer
- Sports Photographer
- Portrait & Wedding Photographer
- Art Director
- Production Assistant
- Digital Tech
- Video Production
- Commercial Photographer
- Fashion Photographer
- Studio Product Photographer
- Scientific Photographer
- Digital Retouching
- Artist Representation
- Photo Assisting
- Studio Manager
The BFA Professional Photography degree curriculum is made up of 33 credit hours of required core classes and 33 credit hours of additional photography elective courses including 12 credit hours of business courses. Students may also enroll in the Photography Minor which requires a total of 18 credit hours. For further information contact Charles Bunce firstname.lastname@example.org and Bill Robbins email@example.com, or consult a Mount advisor.
33 units total
- FLM 2/PHO 2: Foundations of Photography (3 Units)
- PHO 4: Digital Asset Management & Workflow (3 Units)
- PHO/FLM 6: History of Photography (3 Units)
- PHO/FLM 8: Lighting Principles (3 Units)
- PHO/FLM 30: Studio Product Photography (3 Units)
- PHO 34: Photoshop & Digital Printing (3 Units)
- PHO/FLM 104: Lighting for People (3 Units)
- PHO/FLM: 107 Applied Photography (3 Units)
- PHO/FLM 109: Photography as Fine Art (3 Units)
- FLM 139A/FLM 205: Introduction to Digital Video Production (3 Units)
- PHO 198: Senior Capstone (3 Units)
12 units total, complete all of the following:
- BUS 4: Business Foundation & Analysis (3 Units)
- BUS 5: Business Law 1 (3 Units)
- BUS 15A: Accounting Principles 1 (3 Units)
- PHO 140: Business of the Photography Studio (3 Units)
21 units total, complete any seven elective classes offered by the Film, Media & Communication department (FLM, JRN, PHO, etc.) and/or other classes by advisement such as:
- ART 10: Photography I (3 Units)
- ART 108: Digital Deluge (3 Units)
- ART 150A: Photography II: Portraiture (3 Units)
- ART 152: A Color Digital Photography (3 Units)