*Nursing Requirements vary from state to state. Some of these careers may require further areas of study, education, or training.
The Pre-Health courses are designed for students who wish to pursue studies which prepare them for a healthcare-related profession. These courses provide students with the opportunity to take general studies requirements and preparatory courses for programs in Nursing and other health-care related fields. The courses are designed to provide the student with the opportunity to consider career alternatives. Students completing these courses will not receive a degree in Nursing.
**Students who wish to apply to Mount Saint Mary's University Pre-Associate Nursing Program or Associate Degree Nursing Program on the ground campus after completing MSMU Onlines Associate in Pre-Health Sciences Pre-requisite courses must apply via the A.D.N Nursing Program Change Application
***Admission into the AS in Pre-health Sciences degree does not guarantee admission into MSMU Nursing programs.
Available Program Formats
Learn more about our program formats and hear from our students about their unique experiences.
Complete your degree 100% online with the support of our distinguished faculty.
The Fully Online Pre-Health Science Program is designed for students who wish to pursue studies which prepare them for a healthcare-related profession. The Pre-Health Science Program provides the student with the opportunity to take general education requirements and preparatory courses for programs in the health sciences. Students completing the Fully Online Pre-Health Science Program requirements will receive an Associate in Science degree.
Students interested in eventually enrolling in one of Mount Saint Mary's University Pre-Nursing or Nursing programs should be aware that admission to Mount Saint Mary’s University does not constitute admission to the Nursing program. Admission to the nursing programs is highly competitive, and the Admission Committees strongly suggest achieving a GPA above the minimum required for consideration.
Health Science Program should complete all nursing prerequisite requirements with a grade of C or better. For more information, please consult a Mount advisor.
Required Program Courses
- SPE 10*: Introduction to Communication (2 units)
- PSY 1*: Introduction to Psychology (3 units)
- PSY 12*: Lifespan/Human Development (3 units)
- BIO 3*: General Microbiology (3 units)
- BIO 3L*: General Microbiology Lab (1 unit)
- BIO 5*: Life Sciences (3 units)
- BIO 50A*: Human Anatomy (3 units)
- BIO 50AL*: Human Anatomy Laboratory (1 unit)
- BIO 50B*: Human Physiology (3 units)
- BIO 50BL*: Human Physiology Laboratory (1 unit)
- PHS 1*: Scientific Concepts (3 units)
- SPR 70: Careers in Health (1 unit)
Required LACE Courses
- ENG 1A*: Freshman English (3 units)
- ENG 1B*: Freshman English (3 units)
- MTH 10*: Quantitative Reasoning and Mathematical Ideas (3 units)
- PHI 10*: Critical Thinking (3 units)
- SOC 1*: Introduction to Sociology (3 units)
- RST 41: Introduction to Christian Ethics (3 units)
*Pre-requisites for A.D.N.
**Students who wish to complete the AS in Pre-health Sciences degree must complete all courses listed above, plus electives totaling 60-semester units.