The Psychology Department at Mount Saint Mary’s University is teaching-oriented and student focused. Our goals for students, and our curriculum, reflect our concern that students have a broad knowledge base in psychology. This program prepares majors to develop as strong critical thinkers, researchers, exemplary communicators, informed and participatory citizens, and effective leaders. We value the ethical application of psychology in counseling settings, in the research laboratory, and as part of community service. The mission of the Psychology Department is to prepare our students to pursue advanced study, or to apply psychological knowledge in a variety of professions.
Goals and Outcomes
Mount Saint Mary’s University has a culture of assessment. This means:
- Community members share a common commitment to improving student learning and a common language to guide this work.
- Students know at the outset what their expected learning outcomes are for the course, the major or program.
- Faculty and staff continually assess the nature and extent of student learning.
- Lessons about student learning inform curricular, pedagogical, and administrative decisions.
- The goal of assessment efforts at MSMU is to improve teaching and learning.
- The overall results of student performance will be available to students, faculty, staff and other interested parties on University webpage.
The Undergraduate Psychology Department has identified goals and student learning outcomes for our students to master during their undergraduate program at Mount Saint Mary’s University. These Goals and Student Learning Outcomes are based on our department’s mission:
|Disciplinary Content Knowledge
Be conversant with the major theoretical aspects of psychology and have a contextual understanding of human behavior.
|Outcome 1: Show proficiency in six major content areas in the discipline of psychology: developmental, social, personality, abnormal, cognitive, biological psychology.|
Communicate effectively in writing.
|Outcome 2: Compose a theoretically-based essay.|
Become a sophisticated consumer of scientific claims.
Outcome 3: Evaluate scientific claims in the popular media.
Outcome 4: Design a quality APA style research project.
Outcome 5: Apply and explain the logic of statistics.
Demonstrate basic counseling skills.
Outcome 6: Demonstrate accurate listening skills, apply reflecting skills in response to prompts, use probing questions effectively.
Outcome 7: Distinguish subjective from objective observations of human behavior.
|Career/Professional Knowledge and Attitudes, Professional development
Understand the role of psychology in society, core elements of professional ethics, and career paths.
Outcome 8: Demonstrate understanding of basic elements of professional ethics in research and counseling.
Outcome 9: Define career paths and develop skills relevant to pursuing them.
Outcome 10: Demonstrate interpersonal awareness and sensitivity to differences and similarities in the way people are treated due to gender, race, ethnicity, culture, class, and sexual orientation.