2021 Solo, Chamber Ensemble, Performer-Composer Online High School Music Competition
EXTENDED DEADLINE to Wednesday, September 22, 2021
MSMU Music introduces the 2021 Solo, Chamber Ensemble, Performer-Composer Online High School Music Competition! Participants must submit an audition video and application online by September 22, 2021 for adjudication by Bridge to Everywhere, MSMU’s ensemble in residence.
WINNERS: In addition to monetary prizes, winners will be provided with performance opportunities with Bridge to Everywhere and have the option to make a professional music video recording at our Mount Saint Mary’s University campus in LA (honorary $200 travel fee). https://www.msmu.edu/about-the-mount/university-and-external-events/venuesspaces/chalon-campus/
The recordings will be premiered on our YouTube channel at the LIVE Winners Concert (TBD).
Competition Categories & Prizes
Participants may not apply to more than one category.
Past winners are not eligible to reapply.
Application Fees - Solo $50, Ensemble $60
|Application & video deadline: September 22, 2021
Finalists announced: October 16, 2021
Live Winners Concert: December 2021 (TBD)
Audition Repertoire & Category Requirements
- One selection of ANY genre not exceeding 8 minutes in length. No changes of repertoire may be made once application has been submitted. Adjudicators’ decisions are final.
- Solo: may be with or without accompaniment (see below for accompaniment rules).
- Chamber: any non-conducted ensemble of at least 3, but no more than 5, vocalists and/or instrumentalists. Vocals and instruments may be amplified.
- Solo: An original piece of music, not a standard. May include improvisation
- Ensemble: An original, unique arrangement for an ensemble
*Composer-Performer Category is for musicians who are able to integrate composition with performance practice. Examples may include singer songwriters, improvisation, “beat”making or creation, non-traditional performance techniques, innovative approaches to interpretation of musical literature, incorporating new music and interactive media technologies (electronics, amplification), exploring multiple genres (i.e. pop, non-western classical), applied inter-cultural experimentation in music, interdisciplinary performance design and more.
Requirements, Rules, and Video Instructions
Audition and Application Requirements
- One selection of ANY genre not exceeding 8 minutes in length.
- No late submissions will be accepted. Deadline September 22, 2021.
- Upload the audition video to YouTube. You will be asked to share the link on your application.
- In addition to your performing talents, please share in the application how you are making an impact around you with your music making. We want to hear how you are using your musical abilities!
- We wish to give everyone a chance to reflect and to have a meaningful and valuable experience from participating in this competition.
- By signing and submitting your application, applicants consent that videos may be made public and that they may be used by MSMU for marketing purposes.
Accompaniment Rules and Video Instructions
- Solo recordings can be made with or without accompaniment.
- Soloists performing with piano accompaniment:
- If the accompanist appears in the video, the accompanist must be a student.
- If the accompanist does not appear in the video, they do not need to be a student (we only want students to appear in the video).
- Soloists may perform with a pre-recorded accompaniment track. In this case the accompanist does not need to be a student.
- Any chamber ensemble that includes piano accompaniment must be played by a student.
- Video recording must be an unedited recording of a single take. Multiple cameras/camera angles are not permitted.
- Please do not hire external personele for recording. Videos made by hired professionals will be disqualified.
- Each movement/single-movement piece must be recorded in its entirety with no breaks and no editing. Please note that breaks may be taken between movements in multi-movement pieces.
Please send all direct inquiries to: email@example.com
2020 Online High School Solo & Chamber Music Competition
Solo Winds / Brass Winner
Ji Zhou, flute
10th grade, Orange County School of the Art, Irvine, CA
Sometimes the City is Quiet, Janice Misurell-Mitchell
Julia Benitez-Nelson, flute
Daniel Thurmond, clarinet
Brian Lin, alto saxophone
Daniel Chavez, flute
Solo Strings / Guitar Winner
Andrew Chi, violin
11th grade, Palos Verdes Peninsula High School, Palos Verdes, CA
Tchaikovsky -Violin Concerto in D major, III. Finale: Allegro vivacissimo
Sarah Kave, cello
Madison Oh, violin
Raunak Kumar, violin
Emily Kim, violin
Solo Piano Winner
11th grade, Pacific Academy, Irvine, CA
Muczinsky - Desperate Measures
Solo Voice Winner
10th grade, Flintridge Preparatory School, La Canada, CA
Mozart - Una Donna a Quindici Anni/Cose Fan Tutte
Alexandra Grace Cook
Zoe Isabella Martinez
Chamber Music Winner
Joshua Kave, viola / Sarah Kave, cello
11th grade, North Hollywood Highly Gifted Magnet, Terrace Tarzana, CA
Beethoven - Eyeglasses Duo in E flat major for Viola and Cello
Catherine Cho, violin / Lauren Cho, cello
Beethoven String Quartet Op. 18 No. 4. 1st mvt.
Audrey Kim, 11th grade, Polytechnic HS
Madison Oh, 10th grade, Mira Costa HS
Youngeun Choi, 12th grade, Diamond Bar HS
William Robles, 12th grade, Polytechnic HS
Piazzola Histoire du Tango 3rd mvt. Flute, Guitar
Dennis Arev Papazyan, 9th grade, Palisades Charter HS
Micha David Rand, 10th grade, Harvard Westlake HS
Brahms Cello Sonata no 1 E minor
Sarah Kave, 10th grade, North Hollywood High Gifted Magnet
Dominik Yoder, 11th grade, Homeschooled
Dvorak String Quartet op 51 1st mvt
Rubani Chugh, Emily Taylor, Layla Shapouri, Kaya Ralls
All students at Santa Monica HS