Showcase Your Talent
Auditions are required for admission to the Music Major and Minor and are a determining factor in the awarding of scholarship funds.
Students demonstrate their musical talent to the Music Department faculty and we learn more your music goals, and how you see yourself contributing to the life of the department.
A successful audition can lead to financial awards up to and including a full tuition scholarship.
*DUE TO COVID-19, ALL APPLICATIONS AND INTERVIEWS WILL BE SUBMITTED ONLINE.*
Application Deadline March 26, 2022
1. Submit a video recording of your audition along with your application. You will be asked to provide a YouTube link of your audition in your application.
Audition Repertoire Requirements:
- Prepare three to five minutes’ worth of music for your audition. Consider etudes or solo excerpts from works you have played for lessons, region try-outs, solo and ensemble, or other performances. We will provide an accompanist.
- If you are a vocalist, we suggest two selections in contrasting styles from memory, one of which is in a foreign language (aria, art songs, folk songs, and musical theatre selections).
- If you play piano, brass, woodwinds or strings, please perform two contrasting selections from the standard repertoire.
- If you play percussion (concert band), please perform one selection on snare and one selection on either mallets or timpani.
2. Provide a letter of recommendation in your application that attest to your potential in music.
3. Successfully complete your theory examination online. Students will take a brief music theory and ear training examination for placement purposes. This is done to provide accurate placement for all Music department admission candidates.
- Guidelines and sign up for a time here: MSMU Music Placement Exams
4. Schedule and complete your online interview with designated department personnel.
- November 20, 2021
- January 22, 2022
- February 12, 2022
- February 26, 2022
- March 19, 2022
- March 26, 2022
You may request an audition by completing the application only after the following has taken place:
- Your application for admission to MSMU has been approved
- Your FAFSA is on file at the Office of Admission’s Financial Aid Office