Program Goals and Outcomes
Mount Saint Mary’s University has a culture of assessment. This means
- Community members share a common commitment to improving student learning and a common language to guide this work.
- Students know at the outset what their expected learning outcomes are for the course, the major or program.
- Faculty and staff continually assess the nature and extent of student learning.
- Lessons about student learning inform curricular, pedagogical, and administrative decisions.
- The goal of assessment efforts at MSMU is to improve teaching and learning.
- The overall results of student performance will be available to students, faculty, staff and other interested parties on College webpage.
The Department of Language and Culture tailors its curriculum to meet the language proficiency standards set by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). More information about ACTFL teaching guidelines may be found here.
Communication Skills: Verbal/Oral and Written for Formal or Informal Situations
Use of relevant sources according to topic. Writes and organizes essay in MLA or Chicago Manual of Style
Understands and responds appropriately to questions or lectures
Presents content professionally
Understands reading materials
Cultural and literary appreciation and understanding.
Identifies and compares traditions, cultures, and dialects in common target language.
Describes and analyzes the evolution of literary movements and genres in the international panorama and some of their authors in the target language.