Laudato Si’ Week
What is Laudato Si' Week?
Learn about Pope Francis’ call to care for creation during international Laudato Si’ Week! You are already doing things to save the planet – let’s celebrate those things and learn more. Watch for portal and social media postings each day, culminating in a prayer service on Sunday, May 24.
Laudato Si’ Week honors the fifth anniversary of Pope Francis’ letter of that name on care for our planet. The theme of Laudato Si’ Week is “everything is connected” and this week launches a year-long journey of transformation, as we grow through the crisis of the current moment by learning, praying, reflecting, and preparing together to build stronger, healthier life on earth. All of this leads us to September - the Season of Creation - when Pope Francis has invited all Catholics to celebrate as an annual season of prayer and action for our common home. Join the Mount community as we learn about caring for the earth together!
Check out this video invitation from Pope Francis:
Saturday, May 16
- Sign up for this discussion of the interesting 35-minute video, “The Story of Plastic,” happening on Monday, May 18, with the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. Register, then view the video on your own, and jump on Zoom for lively discussion. More information and (free) registration.
- Celebrating Creation Playlist: Enjoy spiritual songs of different styles that celebrate our planet and caring for God's creation.
Sunday, May 17
- If you attend a church service online today, say a special prayer for the earth today.
- Click here to see what the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet and the CSSJ Federation are planning for Laudato Si’ Week and caring for the planet.
- Register today for the Sisters’ Closing Ceremony of Celebration and Commitment on May 24. They are asking us to “reflect on, discuss, and recommit to aligning ourselves with the Creator’s dream for our Earth.” Interactive service presented via Zoom videoconference at 2pm Eastern/1pm Central/noon Mountain/ 11am Pacific. Register here.
- Organize a prayer opportunity with your family and friends via video call. You can use this simple guide the USCCB & Catholic Charities USA put together to pray for creation.
Monday, May 18
- Book recommendation: Check out Br. Mickey O’Neill McGrath’s book called, “Our Common Home - Visual Meditations of Pope Francis’ Encyclical Laudato Si’”
- From America Magazine: Top 10 Things You Need to Know about Pope Francis' Laudato Si.' In this video, Fr. James Martin, S.J., presents the ten things you need to know about this important encyclical – from 2015.
Reflection Question: What stands out from this video?
- How much do you know about animals? Take this quiz and see!
Tuesday, May 19
- Visit the Catholic Climate Covenant website and let your creativity shine by submitting a Hope for Creation art piece – a poem, drawing, video, essay, and more.
- Ever wonder what goes into the t-shirt that you are wearing? Check out this 6 minute video, “The Life of a T-Shirt." We are connected to nature in everything we do, right down to the shirts on our backs! Each year, we sell and buy two billion t-shirts globally, making it one of the most common garments in the world. But how and where is the average t-shirt made, and what’s its environmental impact? Angel Chang traces the life cycle of a t-shirt. Reflection Question: Consider your own closet (and the closets of your family members) – how much clothing do you all have? How will you think differently about the next piece of clothing you buy?
Wednesday, May 20
- What is MSMU doing to care for creation? Read about the exciting things that departments on campus are doing to save the planet! Coming Soon!
- Movie nights can be fun and educational! Check out these documentaries about caring for the planet: Ice on Fire, Oceans, Our Planet, Chasing Coral, Flight of the Butterflies, The Biggest Little Farm.
- Get some ideas about how to reduce single use plastics from the CSJs!
Thursday, May 21
- #ThrowbackThursday - Enjoy these photos of the Earth Day Photo Contest winners and runner-ups!
- Catholic Relief Services invites you to lift your voice to Congress and stand with our human family around the world. Why now? Congress is negotiating its next emergency bills to address COVID-19. We must ensure Congress provides funding for international programs that reduce poverty, keep communities safe and help families survive and thrive.
Friday, May 22
- Want to go in-depth? Check out the video “Understanding Laudato Si’ Series” by Dan Horan, OFM.
- How does buying Fair Trade help the planet? Watch this 7-minute video on the impact of climate change on farmers around the world and the positive effect that fair trade can have.
Saturday, May 23
- How’s your knowledge of climate change? Take these quizzes and see what’s happening on our planet.
- Have you heard the term Integral Ecology? Check out this short article on it related to Laudato Si'.