Counseling & Psychological Services
We Care. We Are Here to Help You!
There are many changes happening to everyone right now, which can often lead to feeling stressed. The more you need to adjust to these changes the more you may find yourself stressed out. So, more change often means more stress. We want you to know that we are here to help you.
The Counseling & Psychological Services offices (CPS) are open at Chalon and Doheny while your classes are primarily online/remote. Please call us at (310) 954-4114 or (310) 477-2668 during our business hours from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Thursday, and 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Fridays. In order to keep everyone safe, we are practicing social distancing, and counseling sessions will be conducted through Zoom telehealth for your emotional and physical well-being. If you are feeling stressed or upset, and would like to schedule an appointment, please call us (leave a voicemail if there is no answer). You will need access to a computer, tablet, or smart phone in order to use our confidential Zoom counseling sessions. You should also arrange to be in a quiet, private space where you are comfortable talking with your therapist during your zoom sessions. Eligible students include full-time traditional undergraduates, ADN, ABSN, and DPT students.
NEW! If you are in psychological crisis and need to speak to someone immediately, please call our 24/7 MSMU Crisis line to speak to a counselor. That number is (310) 954-4CPS or (310) 954-4277. If you have a life-threatening condition or medical emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital.
- For hotlines and low cost referrals off-campus, see our Referrals page.
- If you are interested in longer-term counseling, you can find a local therapist by visiting Psychology Today.
- Please note: Due to psychology licensing board rules, we are unable to provide telehealth services to out-of-state students at this time. To find a therapist in your area, please visit Psychology Today.
- For resources to address the trauma to individuals and communities associated with racial trauma, see the message from the Center for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
The mission of Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) is to enhance the emotional growth and academic success of students by promoting balanced lifestyles, positive self-regard, and essential life skills with an emphasis on the development of the whole person.
CPS is staffed by licensed psychologists and postdoctoral fellows.
View our counseling staff below!
Services and Programs
At CPS we provide psychological counseling services and psychoeducational programs for students, as well as responsive consultation to the university community. Referrals and emergency services are also provided by the office.
In counseling, students can discuss issues such as stress, anxiety, depression, and other personal concerns. Traditional full-time undergraduates, ADN, ABSN and DPT students may receive up to ten counseling sessions per academic year and can call the office or walk in to make an appointment.
All sessions are confidential in keeping with professional ethics and state laws. Information about students is not shared with their families, the faculty, university administrators, or anyone else without the student's written permission.
To contact the Chalon office, please call 310.954.4114. For our Doheny office, please call 213.477.2668.
- Susan K. Salem, PhD, Director
- Kendra Nickerson, PhD, Associate Director/Training Director
- Kat Cheng, Office Manager for CPS
- Ivan Cabrera, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow
- Charlie Champion, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow
- Summer Scheidegger, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow
- Samantha Harris, PsyD, Postdoctoral Fellow