Be Safe on Campus
The goal of the Mount Saint Mary's University Department of Campus Security is to provide every Mount community member and visitors a safe environment in which to study, work and live.
We meet this goal through a variety of methods, including the following:
- Main Entrance at each campus is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to screen vehicles and ensure that every person that enters the campus is accounted for and has valid business with the University.
- Campus Patrols by foot and patrol vehicles. All areas of each campus are patrolled throughout the day.
- Continuous training of the security staff to keep them informed and up to date with safety certifications.
10 Safety Tips
- Have a Plan
- Know where the Blue Light emergency phones on campus are.
- Download a personal security app for your phone.
- Don't carry your SSN with you.
- Shred and destroy documents with sensitive information about yourself, such as your date of birth, SSN, bank account numbers, etc., before disposing of them.
- Photocopy all cards in your wallet.
- Select hard-to-guess PINs and passwords.
- Be cautious providing ANY personal or sensitive information about yourself to anyone.
- Call Campus Security for an escort.
- Get a Safety Buddy, someone you can call for a ride or for help, and create a code word or phrase that means “I need help.”
- Never leave your backpack, laptop or cell phone unattended. Make it a habit to take your valuables with you.
- When leaving your car, hide your valuables, close windows and lock doors.