Mount Saint Mary's is committed to the advancement of learning and service to
society. This is best accomplished in an atmosphere of mutual respect and civility,
self-restraint, concern for others, and academic integrity. By choosing to join this
community, I accept the obligation to live by these common values and commit to
the following principles.
As a Member of the Mount Saint Mary's Community:
- I will embrace the concept of civil community which does not tolerate violence,theft, bigotry, or harassment of others in any form.
- I will commit myself to the pursuit of knowledge with personal integrity and
- I will respect the sanctity of the learning environment and avoid disruptive and
deceitful behavior toward other members of the college community.
- I will support a culture of diversity by respecting the rights of those who differ
- I will contribute to the development of a caring community where compassion
for others and freedom of thought and expression are valued.
- I will honor, challenge and contribute to the scholarly heritage left by those who
preceded me and work to leave this a better place for those who follow.
By endorsing these common principles, I pledge to contribute to a civil campus
environment and resolve to encourage civil behavior in others. This is my promise to
Mount Saint Mary's and its community of scholars.
-Adapted with permission from the University of Pittsburgh's "Pitt Promise"
SPONSORED BY THE DIVISION OF STUDENT AFFAIRS