Engaging Our Community
Mount Saint Mary’s University, Los Angeles is fully committed to engaging all members of our community in the democratic process. By providing resources, education, and programming we hope to encourage students to assume and embrace their full role as active citizens and ultimately to become “graduates who are committed to using their knowledge and skills to better themselves, their environments, and the world” (MSMU Mission Statement).
MSMU Votes is an initiative of the Division of Student Affairs coordinated by Women’s Leadership and Student Engagement and in collaboration with various departments and offices.
Vote in the local Elections!
Mount students who are registering to vote in California can participate in the California Ballot Bowl! When you register to vote, make sure you click that you’re a student at the Mount so you can get counted! Students voting outside of California can go to TurboVote to register to vote.
Election Resources for People of Faith
In the Catholic tradition, everyone is asked to actively participate in the political process, making our decisions on the basis of the common good of all and our Gospel values. Access voting resources from Campus Ministry.
National Involvement and Recognition
We are proud to partner with the following national organizations and institutions from across the country on our civic and democratic engagement initiatives. In 2019, the Mount was recognized as an ALL IN Gold Campus because 48.4% of our students voted in the 2018 elections, which is more than the national average for colleges and universities (39.1%).
- ALL IN Democracy Challenge (Gold Campus and Presidents’ Commitment Campus)
- California Ballot Bowl
- Ask Every Student Commitment Campus
- Campus Vote Project, Voter Friendly Campus
- NASPA Lead Initiative Campus
- Students Learn Students Vote Coalition Partner
- National Voter Registration Day Partner
- Vote Early Day Campus Partner
- National Voter Education Week Partner
View our 2014 and 2018 National Study of Learning, Voting, and Engagement Report to learn more:
MSMU Votes: Our Campus Democratic Engagement Plan
Our MSMU Votes Coalition, comprised of faculty, staff, and students as well as our MSMU Votes Student Squad help to spread the word and engage all members of our community in the democratic process. Various educational and social events are held throughout the year to ensure that all students are connected to the resources and information needed to participate fully in our democracy. Here are some highlights:
- Voter registration and MSMU Votes information at New Student Orientation
- Constitution Day and National Voter Registration Day Events
- Debate Watch Parties
- Voter registration drives throughout the year
- Voter education programs to provide non-partisan information on candidates, issues, and ballot measures
- Transportation support to get students to the polls
- Tons of resources on our social media (Follow us on Instagram @msmuleadership)