About Student Affairs
Empowering Students as Leaders, Learners and Advocates of a Just Global Society
Student Life at Mount Saint Mary’s University is nothing short of a transformational experience! Here at the Mount, learning does not stop at the classroom door. Education happens both inside and outside the classroom. That is our hallmark.
So, what does this mean?
It means a Mount student knows how and when to take a stand... and they lead.
Our Mission and Vision
In alignment with the university mission and informed by our Catholic and CSJ (Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet) heritage, the Division of Student Affairs provides a transformative educational experience for all students. We foster their wellbeing, academic success, and spiritual development through co-curricular programs and services that enhance one's ability to lead fulfilling purposeful lives in a global society.
The Division of Student Affairs strives to create inclusive experiential learning opportunities that empower students as leaders, learners, and advocates for a just global society.
The Values of Student Affairs
- We value the individual and strive to treat all students with dignity and respect, supporting and challenging them so they can realize the full potential of their gifts and talents.
- We value student life and affirm that the experiences that students have while attending college can positively influence their personal development and growth.
- We value collaboration, structuring activities and settings to assist students in their personal growth by increasing the frequency of small group interactions, teamwork and positive interdependence.
- We value assessment and data driven decision making, in order to make improvements in programs and services that will increase the likelihood of effective student development.
- We value professionalism in the field of Student Affairs, working to maintain currency with best practices which will assure the professional growth and quality of our staff and therefore support optimal student development.
- We value the work of life, affirming that all are called to use their gifts and talents in the work that the do, not only as professionals and practitioners of Student Affairs, but also as individuals whose personal lives are respected.
- We value wellness, acknowledging that everyone's best potential is fully achieved through an integration of a healthy mind, body, and spirit. We affirm this through our thoughtful interactions with our students and through the intentional programming which supports well-being.
Humanities 200 or call us at 310.954.4130.
Building 7, Room 101 or call us at 213.477.2570.
Programs and Experiences
New Student Orientation
Each Orientation program is designed to assist entering students with their transition to Mount Saint Mary’s University and to enhance their overall success.
Orientation includes an introduction to both the academic and student life aspects of the university and provides for the interaction of new students with faculty, staff, and current students.
Explore More of MSMU Student Life
Learning about other cultures and places is also an exciting part of a college experience. Some of our students travel to Washington DC for the Public Leadership Education Network, others present research papers at local and national conferences and many choose to study abroad. All of these opportunities are great ways to expand our students' vision and appreciation of our world.
At the Mount we will always go further- we celebrate the most creative, the most promising, and the best students through beautiful ceremonies that are steeped in our CSJ traditions and values. All of our students are encouraged to develop spiritually and are rewarded not just for their achievements but for their commitment to use their gifts and talents to serve others in their schools, families and communities.
And there's more! The Student Affairs Departments listed on the right offer hundreds of educational and social events and programs to support and contribute to our students' University success.