2017 Event Recap
2017 Event Recap
The Sixth Annual Release of the Report Highlighting Health + Wellness
“Resiliency is key to our ability as women to care for ourselves and the communities we serve. Research indicates that health, energy and resilience are deeply intertwined with successful leadership.” Ann McElaney-Johnson, president, Mount Saint Mary's University
On March 23, 2017, over 1,000 individuals took part in the release of Mount Saint Mary’s sixth annual Report on the Status of Women and Girls in California™ event. The main program featured an analysis of the timely challenges and opportunities facing California’s women and girls, and a pair of panel discussions featuring health and wellness experts discussing the importance of physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing.
The main event was followed by a special VIP luncheon hosted by Architects of Change featuring Maria Shriver in conversation with Gwyneth Paltrow and Roberta Brinton, PhD.
Visit our News Release: Rising to the Challenge
For more information about the 2018 event and/or sponsorship and partnership opportunities for 2018, contact Heather Schraeder, director of special events and public programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 213.477.2761.
The event host committee consists of leaders from across Los Angeles dedicated to supporting and promoting the Report and the Release event.
- Kay Buck, Executive Director, Coalition against Slavery and Trafficking
- Elise Buik, President and CEO, United Way of Greater Los Angeles
- Geena Davis, Academy-Award winning actor, founder of the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media at Mount Saint Mary’s University
- Kimberly Freeman, Assistant Dean for Diversity Initiatives and Community Relations, UCLA
- Nancy Kirshner-Rodriguez, Executive Director, California Commission on the Status of Women and Girls
- Supervisor Sheila James Kuehl, Los Angeles County
- Councilmember Nury Martinez, L.A. City Council
- Holly J. Mitchell, California State Senate
- Linda Sax, PhD, professor, UCLA, and author of The Gender Gap in College: Maximizing the Developmental Potential of Women and Men.
- Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet Los Angeles Province
- Guggenheim Investments
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- Andrews Lagasse Branch Bell, LLP
- Clifford Swan
- Fusion Academy
- Locke Lord
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Integritas Resources, Inc.
Architects of Change Conversation and Luncheon Speakers
- Robert Diaz Brinton, PhD, Internationally recognized leader in Alzheimers research
- Gwyneth Paltrow, Oscar-winning actress and founder, goop
- Maria Shriver, Emmy and Peabody Award-winning journalist, New York Times best-selling author, NBC News Special Anchor and Founder, Shriver Media
The Release Event Speakers
- Bryant Adibe, MD, chief wellness officer, Mount Saint Mary's University
- C. Noel Bairey Merz, MD, Women’s Guild Endowed Chair, Women’s Health at Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute; and the Institute’s director, Barbra Streisand Women’s Heart Center, Linda Joy Pollin Women’s Heart Health Program and Preventive Cardiac Center; professor of medicine, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Mallika Chopra, founder, Intent.com; media entrepreneur; public speaker published author
- Geena Davis, Academy Award-winning actress; founder, Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media at Mount Saint Mary's University
- Kelly Dormandy, head strength and conditioning coach, Los Angeles Sparks; assistant strength and conditioning coach, University of Southern California's women's basketball, women's soccer and beach volleyball teams
- Jennifer Ferro, president, KCRW
- Paulette Lambert, RD, CDE, director of nutrition, California Health and Longevity Institute
- Susan Love, MD, MBA, chief visionary officer, Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation; clinical professor of surgery, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
- Tieraona Low Dog, MD, fellowship director, Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine
- Susan Samueli, PhD, philanthropist; founder, Susan Samueli Center for Integrative Medicine, UC Irvine School of Medicine
- Sarah Shealy MSN, CNM, assistant professor of nursing, Mount Saint Mary’s accelerated BSN program
- Wendy Slusser, MD, associate vice provost, UCLA’s Chancellor Block’s Healthy Campus Initiative; clinical professor of pediatrics, UCLA Schools of Medicine and Public Health; co-founder and medical director, UCLA Fit for Healthy Weight program.
- Melissa Welch, MD, MPH, physician executive, American Heart Association's Go Red for Women campaign