Nursing Programs (MSN)
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist
The Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist track in the MSN program conforms to the California Board of Registered Nursing’s requirements for California Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) Certification. For students who wish to practice in a state other than California, you may or may not have additional educational and/or non-educational requirements you must complete prior to applying for your license. Prior to enrollment, prospective students must review the lists below to determine whether this program meets the educational requirements in a specific state. MSMU would like to help applicants and students navigate the certification process. Contact Dr. Leah FitzGerald at email@example.com to discuss the process of obtaining CNS certification in a state outside of California.
|States for which MSMU's MSN program MEET the educational requirements for licensure or certification|
|States for which MSMU’s MSN program DO NOT MEET the educational requirements for licensure or certification|
|States for which MSMU HAS NOT YET DETERMINED whether the MSN program meet the educational requirements for licensure or certification|
Other Important Notes
The states of California and Oregon DO NOT require a national certification exam for CNS certification/licensure. All other states do. However, MSMU curriculum does meet the requirements for students to take the Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist Certification (AGCNS-BC) provided by AACN which includes 500 hours of CNS clinical practicum. This exam meets all other state's requirements for practice as a CNS/APRN. No state requires a CNS/APRN to have prescriptive authority to practice as a CNS/APRN. Many states do allow CNS's prescriptive authority however, application is separate from CNS certification/licensure.
- States where MSMU’s MSN program MEET educational requirements:
- Curriculum requirements (including internship/practicum/experience hours required to graduate) must meet all requirements mandated by the State
- States where MSMU's MSN program DO NOT MEET educational requirements
- Curriculum requirements do not match up with requirements mandated by the State
- States where MSMU’s MSN program have not made a determination
- Research is still in progress