Spotlight Archive Items
For more than two decades, the Athenian Awards have saluted the Mount's emerging student leaders on campus.
Athenian Award honorees recognized for campus leadership
Mount Saint Mary's University recognized 260 students, faculty and staff with Athenian Awards for their leadership and contributions to the Mount community. The awards ceremony, which was hosted by the Women’s Leadership and Student Involvement office, was held April 13 at the Campus Center at Chalon.
“For more than two decades, the Athenian Awards have celebrated leadership and student engagement and involvement,” said Dr. Jane Lingua, vice president for student affairs. “They salute those who have contributed to and benefited from our community and recognize how they have grown into positions of leadership and service.”
President Ann McElaney-Johnson kicked off the ceremony and was followed by outgoing Student Government Association (SGA) President Blanca Duenas ‘16, who delivered the invocation and inducted the 2016-2017 SGA board, chaired by incoming president Melanie Sava ‘17.
Student awards highlights
- Emerging Leader Awards went to 38 first-year and sophomore students recognizing their leadership potential and desire to contribute to co-curricular life at the Mount.
- Thirty-one junior students received Outstanding Leader Awards for their demonstrated leadership and ongoing involvement and contributions.
- Exemplary Leader Awards were bestowed on 34 seniors who, through their sustained leadership and contributions, have enhanced the programs and organizations with which they were involved and exemplified the community spirit of the University’s founding Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.
Inter-Club Council awards
The Inter-Club Council, comprising 37 campus organization presidents, presented four special awards:
- Organization of the Year – Student Government Association,
- Most Collaborative Event – Scholar Fair and Scholar Mentor Club,
- Most Creative Publicity – California Nursing Student Association, and
- Most Original Program – Noche Mexicana and Ballet Folklorico Club.
A list of all winners is available online.
Staff and faculty awards
Athenian Awards also were presented to two staff and faculty honorees who were selected through a University-wide student survey:
- Faculty of the Year – Lance Skidmore, department chair, Mathematics
- Staff of the Year – Haig Papelian, electrician, Facilities Management
This year marks the 22nd anniversary of the Athenian Awards program and the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Mount’s Women's Leadership Program, the oldest such women’s leadership program in the western United States.