Spaces at the Libraries
Spaces at Coe Library
Coe Library - Available Study Spaces
- Study tables (1st Floor) - silent
- Group Study Rooms (2nd Floor) - collaborative*
- 24-Hour Computer Lab (2nd Floor) - silent
- Media Center (2nd Floor) - quiet
- Main Floor (3rd Floor) - quiet
- Mezzanine tables (4th Floor) - quiet
- CLAB - Classroom (4th Floor) - collaborative*
* These spaces (213, 214, CLAB) are only available when class is NOT in session
Coe Library - Quiet Zones
Spaces at McCarthy Library
McCarthy Library - Available Study Spaces
- 24-Hour Computer Lab (1st Floor - outside) - silent
- Group Study Rooms (1st Floor) - collaborative
- Study Tables & Lounge Furniture (1st Floor) - quiet
- Study Tables & Lounge Furniture (2nd Floor) - quiet
- Cultural Fluency Center (2nd Floor) - collaborative*
* Only available when not in use by library staff or large group
McCarthy Library - Quiet Zones
Group Study Rooms
The primary purpose of Library Group Study Rooms is to provide a place for MSMU students to engage in collaborative and cooperative study in small groups.
Group Study Room Policies
The MSMU Libraries policies allow library users to make reservations for study rooms in the libraries.
Please respect the following guidelines:
Making a Reservation
- All current students should make room reservations online.
- Room reservations are first-come, first-serve.
- Study room reservations are available up to 1 week in advance.
- Students may select a time slot and submit reservation using the online calendar.
- Students who make the room reservations must check their email and click the confirmation link to confirm their reservation within 1 day. To cancel a reservation, students may use the link provided in their room confirmation email.
- Students seeking to reserve a room must be current MSMU students, be in a group of two or more, and possess a current MSMU ID.
- Rooms cannot be reserved or held by a single user for any amount of time. Parties of one are asked to make use of other various seating areas throughout the library.
Room Reservation Policy
- Reservations made by groups who are more than 15 minutes late will be forfeited to any other groups who are waiting for a room.
- All rooms may be used for no longer than two hours per group, per day.
- Groups may not extend a room reservation beyond 2 hours. However, they may stay in a room until another group with a valid reservation arrives.
- Groups must be present in the room during the entire reservation. Any materials left abandoned for lengthy periods of time may result in a forfeiture of the room.
- Groups must be prepared to vacate the rooms at the end of the reserved time.
- Rooms may be reserved for use only during the libraries' regular open hours.
- All rooms must be completely vacated 5 minutes before library closing.
Additional Room Guidelines
- Students are responsible for the room and its contents.
- The MSMU Libraries are not responsible for personal belongings; never leave belongings unattended in study rooms.
- Any unattended items will be retrieved and held by MSMU Security.
- Study rooms are not soundproof; users should be courteous to other library patrons and maintain a respectful noise level.
- All library policies (including those dealing with food, drink, and noise levels) apply to study rooms.
- Rooms must be left in good order for the next group; please throw out all trash.
Maximum room capacity is determined by fire and safety regulations and may not be exceeded at any time.
Thank you for your cooperation and your help in making the library a respectful learning environment.
Please consult with library staff if you have any questions.
Group Study Room Instructions
How to Reserve a Group Study Room
- Select a time slot and submit a reservation. (Available up to 1 week in advance.)
- IMPORTANT! Check your email and click the confirmation link to confirm your reservation within 1 day.
- To cancel a reservation, use the link provided in your confirmation email.
- Arrive within 15 minutes of your reservation time.
- Leave your room in good order for the next group.
Reserve a Group Study Room