Goals and Outcomes
Spiritual Direction Certificate Program Goals
1. To understand and effectively communicate the theological, social, and psychological foundations for Spiritual Direction.
2. To demonstrate the capacity for communication, active listening, and discernment skills.
3. To complete a supervised, comprehensive, professional practicum that evidences the mastery of necessary skills for the Spiritual Director.
Spiritual Direction Certificate Learning Outcomes
1. To identify and interpret contemporary models of Spiritual Direction and the biblical and theological themes in spirituality.
2. To articulate and analyze how the contextual dimensions of personhood (sex, gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, class, and other generational and cultural qualities) influence the practice of Spiritual Direction.
3. To participate in integrative dialogue and identify pertinent issues that can impact the practice of Spiritual Direction.
4. To demonstrate, in writing and practice, self-awareness and reflexivity, an ability to articulate one’s own inner spiritual experience and exercise contemplative and active listening skills.
Call (213) 477-2800 for more information on the all-new Master of Arts in Religious Studies degree programs. Please visit our Graduate Admissions website to learn more about admission.