- Apply Online
- Request Information
- Schedule an Appointment
- Information Sessions
- Argosy University/Art Institute Students
- Admission Requirements
- Alumni Ambassadors
- Alumni Connections
- Alumni Spotlight
- Course Descriptions
- Graduate Nursing Research Poster Symposium
- Integration of the Liberal Arts
- News and Events
- Office Staff
- Professional and Academic Resource Center (PARC)
- Program Objectives
- Program Goals & Outcomes
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Specialty Tracks
- Student Spotlight
- Tuition and Financial Aid
News and Events
Keep On Learning While Waiting! RN Externship Course
The Master of Science in Nursing program at Mount Saint Mary’s University is pleased to offer a course developed just for you! This semester-long course will provide the newly licensed RN the ability to strengthen and increase your clinical skills in an acute care setting. Enrollment in this course will follow the MSMU semester schedule. You will:
- Transition into the role of a new RN and
- Develop professional role competence
- Minimum of 2 shifts per week at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena.
- Your practicum experience is under the supervision of one-to-one preceptorship while engaged in patient care in a select nursing area.
- Five (5) seminar meetings during the term. The seminar focus will change every term and include topics such as communication and teamwork, patient-centered care, evidence-based practice, quality improvement & safety, informatics/technology, cultural competency, and ethics.
Housekeeping Details: (In order to be eligible for the Externship course, the student must be a student in our ADN to MSN or MSN program and a new graduate which is defined as 12 months or less.)
- Two (2) unit course which can be repeated.
- Each term will emphasize a different aspect of the role of a professional registered nurse.
- Must have an active and unrestricted CA RN license.
- Students must also provide a copy of their health clearances including MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, TB results (If you are positive for TB, you must provide a negative Chest X-Ray). In addition, a copy of a cleared criminal background check, malpractice insurance, and proof of health insurance.
And a perk for enrolling in the Externship Course:
You will meet the clinical experience requirement for our ADN to MSN & MSN programs and your learning continues in a very impressive way! You and your resume will demonstrate that you have chosen to continue learning while waiting.
For further information, please contact the MSN program located on our historic Doheny Campus near downtown Los Angeles:
- Elisha Okawa 213/477-2723 email@example.com
- Denise Calloway 213/477-2724 firstname.lastname@example.org