Skip to Main Content

Education and California Teacher Credentials

Graduate Programs


Admission Requirements

Our application and admission process is committed to evaluating applications holistically based on a student’s ability to successfully undertake the rigors of graduate study and contribute meaningfully to our classroom conversations and academic community.

Students who wish to apply to the credential programs must meet the following broad admission requirements.

  • A baccalaureate or professional degree (or equivalent foreign credential) from a U.S. college or university.
  • Possess a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative grade-point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale. If your GPA does not meet this minimum and feel that your GPA is not an indicator of your potential to succeed in our program, we still encourage you to submit an application and provide a brief statement explaining the circumstances that affected your GPA. This statement can be included as part of the online application.

Application Requirements  

Application requirements differ by credential and master’s degree pursued; however, an academic advisement appointment is required for all applicants BEFORE an application can be reviewed. Please refer to each of the credential program’s sites for specific information on application requirements.

Credential Programs Application Requirements

Programs for Experienced Teachers Application Requirements

*The Preliminary and Induction Teacher Preparation Programs meet the standards for and have been approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC), leading to a California Preliminary or Clear Teaching Credential.  Students who wish to practice in a state other than California will have additional licensing requirements to complete prior to practicing in a state outside of California. Mount Saint Mary’s University is in the process of researching program professional licensure standards in other states.  Contact the Education department at to discuss additional requirements that may be needed to obtain a teaching credential in a state outside of California.