Degree Requirements (minimum of 36 units required)
The MFA in Creative Writing Program is a 36-unit interdisciplinary course of study that culminates in a terminal degree that qualifies the holder to teach at the college level. The coursework includes fifteen unit hours in creative writing workshops [including bilingual creative writing when offered], three hours of literary theory, nine additional unit hours in Humanities and Film electives, three hours of electives, and six hours of thesis. The MFA student completes a critical essay and an original creative writing manuscript in a selected genre.
Completion of fifteen (15) units of Creative Writing Workshops
- CRW 230 Fiction Writing I (3)
- CRW 240 Fiction Writing II (3)
- CRW 231 Poetry Writing I (3)
- CRW 241 Poetry Writing II (3)
- CRW 233 Creative Non-Fiction Writing I (3)
- CRW 234 Creative Non-Fiction Writing II (3)
- CRW 236 Playwriting I (3)
- CRW 246 Playwriting II (3)
- CRW 248 Special Topics in Creative Writing (3)
Completion of three (3) units of Literary Theory in the first year, and nine (9) units of Humanities (HUM) Electives and/or FLM 259 or FLM 265 (Film Studies) and/or CRW 232 (Screenwriting) and/or CRW 299C Publishing Seminar (total of 12 units).
- See Masters in Humanities course list for course offerings and descriptions.
- FLM 259 Special Topics in Film Studies
- FLM 265 A The Film Auteur
- CRW 232 Writing for the Screen I
- CRW 299 C Publishing Seminar (3)
Electives (3 units required)
- Any additional Creative Writing, Film or Humanities courses.
Thesis (6 units required)
- Thesis CRW 296 (3)
- Thesis continuation CRW 297 A,B, and C (1 unit each)
Required for completion of the degree is submission of a 120-page manuscript in one genre - fiction, creative nonfiction, play, screenplay or teleplay; or 50 pages of poetry - closely reviewed, edited and refined with the assistance of the student's Thesis Committee. The Creative Writing thesis can be written in English and/or Spanish. For more information on the Thesis proposal and approval process, contact the MFA in Creative Writing Program office.Thesis continuation is a 1 unit course, taken with advisor’s approval as needed.