Prepping for College
As a high school student, sometimes it can be overwhelming to think about college and what is needed to feel prepared and ready for this next chapter in your academics. In order to better prepare you for college, we have put together suggestions month by month as you begin your senior year of high school.
We encourage you to make the most of this year and that also means taking advantage of the resources that are available to you through your high schools and our Admission Office. We are happy to work with you throughout the application process!
Congratulations – you’ve finished your junior year and will be a senior soon. Now is the time to begin thinking seriously about college. Do you know what you want to study? Or where you might like to go? Write down your thoughts to help you begin your journey.
Go create your account for The Common Application. This is the application used by 900 universities nationwide, including Mount Saint Mary’s University in Los Angeles. Fill it out once and apply to as many member schools as you like.
Senior year is happening! Here’s your college to-do list for September.
- Begin your Common Application for MSMU as well as other schools.
- Keep track of application deadlines so you don't miss out on key opportunities.
- Check the MSMU calendar to see when a Mount representative will be hosting an information session in your area and/or with your high school.
- Ask your school counselor or a teacher to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- Follow MSMU on Instagram and Facebook.
It’s time to apply for financial aid.
- Complete the FAFSA now and be sure to include MSMU’s school code (001243) on your application.
- Attend college fairs, open houses and financial aid discussions at your school or in your community.
- Research potential scholarships. Ask your high school counselor for help, or click here for help from MSMU. Check to see if your parents’ employers offer scholarships.
It’s time to complete your Common Application!
- Need an application fee waiver for MSMU? Contact Admission today.
- Have your official high school transcripts sent to MSMU.
- Attend an MSMU Athenian Applicant Day or an Onsite Visit with your high school to receive your admission decision on the spot. Application fees and letters or recommendation will be waived. You will have a brief interview with your admission counselor instead. Don't be nervous - we just want to get to know you beyond your grades. You will receive confirmation on whether the event will be held virtually!
- If you submitted the FAFSA, make any necessary corrections to your Student Aid Report (SAR) to avoid delays in processing your financial aid award.
Applying early has its benefits.
- Submit your Common Application by December 1 and be eligible for:
- Honors Program consideration
- Guaranteed admission from high school to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program
- The full-tuition Le Puy Scholarship
- Continue applying for outside scholarships and complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) – awards can come as soon as January.
Expect your admission decision if you applied by the Early Action Deadline.
- Haven’t yet applied? Do so by our January 15th Priority Deadline with your Common Application and personal statement, letter of recommendation and official transcripts.
- Request your official transcript (including fall semester senior year grades) be sent to MSMU.
- Keep an eye out for your financial aid award once you have been admitted and have submitted your FAFSA.
Participate in financial aid appointments throughout the spring to review your award package.
Expect your admission decision if you applied by the Priority Deadline.
- Review your financial aid award online once you receive your admission decision.
Attend Admitted Athenian Week to celebrate with your family and meet your classmates.
- Submit your $200 tuition deposit by May 1 and $200 housing deposit before July 1.
- Accept your financial aid award once you have made your college decision.
Graduation approaches and your next chapter is well under way.
- Complete and submit your MSMU health forms.
- Sign up for placement exams.
- Submit loan applications and any other financial aid documents.
- Ask your high school to send your final transcripts (including your graduation date) to the Office of Admission.
Attend Orientation at the Mount.
- Learn your class schedule
- Explore residential life
- Meet your academic advisor
- And MORE!