Skip to Main Content

About Transfer Credit


Academic Advisement reviews the transfer eligibility of course (s) taken at other institutions for both newly admitted transfer students and for current students who attend other institutions during the summer. Advisement determines the transferability of general studies and elective courses. Major or minor course transfer eligibility is made by the appropriate academic department.

Prospective Students

At Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles, transfer credit evaluations are created for students who have met our admission criteria and completed the application process for their intended program.

Prospective students can visit Transferology to discover if the course(s) taken at other institutions are transferable to Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles.

For more information about transfer admission requirements, visit MSMU, Los Angeles Admission.

Current Students

Current students must obtain advanced approval for all external course(s) to be completed at another institution of higher learning. Students can visit the MSMU portal>Academic Advisement>Transfer Credit to learn more about completing courses at external universities and to obtain the Transfer of Credit Clearance form.

Once external coursework is complete, students should submit official transcript with final grades. Transcripts should be sent to:

Registrar's Office
Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles
12001 Chalon Road
Los Angeles, CA 90049

Transfer Eligibility

Mount Saint Mary's transfer policies are fully outlined in our Academic Catalog. A few important policies are highlighted below.

For students starting at Mount Saint Mary’s University in summer 2019 or after, MSMU accepts completion of either the CSU General Education Breadth Requirements (CSU GE-Breadth) or Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) to fulfill the LACE (MSMU General Education Requirements) with the exception of the upper division Integrative Scholarship (6 units) and the Capstone (1-3 units) which may be fulfilled by the major Capstone requirement.

Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles accepts transfer coursework:

  • From regionally accredited colleges or universities.
  • From foreign schools, colleges, and universities when original copies of their academic records and a translation from an approved translating service are submitted.
  • That are similar to those coursed offered at the Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles.
  • That do not repeat course material already completed.
  • That are completed under a quarter calendar. All quarter units will be converted to semester units.
  • Toward the Associate degree for a maximum of 36 semester units.
  • Toward the Baccalaureate degree for a maximum of 70 lower division (or equivalent) semester units.
  • Toward physical education for a maximum of 2.0 units.
  • Toward applied art for a maximum of 6.0 units.

*In the case of courses in which grades of C-, D, or F are repeated, only the better grade will be transferred. In cases where a course in which a grade of C or better has been repeated, only the first grade will be accepted.

Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles ordinarily does not transfer the following coursework:

  • Cooperative Education
  • First-year Orientation
  • Continuing Education
  • Pre-college Math, Writing, Reading
  • Directed and Independent Studies
  • English as a Second Language
  • Special Studies
  • Business Skills (typing, shorthand, etc.)
  • Selected/Special Topics
  • Vocational and Technical Internships, Practicums, Field Work
  • Credit/No Credit. Courses used to fulfill the General Studies requirements must be taken for credit. Courses taken on a CR/NC basis may not be applied toward the major except at the discretion of the major department.