Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Striving for inclusive excellence, knowing that a broad range of diverse perspectives enriches the quality of our learning, scholarship and service.
The Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is committed to a social justice faith tradition based on our CSJ heritage and Catholic identity that celebrates diversity as a true representation of God’s creative expression and cherishes the sacred dignity of every human being. We strive for inclusive excellence and a shared sense of belonging with the understanding that a broad range of diverse perspectives enriches the quality of our learning, scholarship and service.
Our founders dedicated themselves to serving all persons without distinction, to respond to the needs of the times and to prepare fearless visionaries for a just future. We follow in their footsteps, seeking to build a diverse community of fellowship through programming, advisement, assessment and cultural-responsiveness training for students, staff and faculty — in order to fully engage a transformative education across boundaries of racial, ethnic, gender, socioeconomic, religious and other expressions of human difference.
- The Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion provides students, staff and faculty with resources, advisement, educational programs and service opportunities that enhance the educational experience and foster a safe, welcoming, inclusive and educationally stimulating campus environment. This environment will help Mount members to explore their own and others’ various identities as well as provide academic, social and cultural support to one another.
- Guided by the principle of inclusive excellence, Mount Saint Mary’s students will develop self-awareness, intercultural skills, knowledge and critical reflection to live, work, serve, and lead ethically and effectively in local, national and global communities.
- Adopting a social justice framework, the Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion serves as a conduit for conversations on important issues that advance learning and shape a climate of inclusion. Opportunities include events and programming for our Mount community as well as the general public.
- As equity-minded practitioners, Mount graduates will learn how to articulate and engage transformative frameworks and exchanges that promote social justice, diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Students will gain a deeper understanding of their own backgrounds, identities and social groups to shape their perspectives.
- Members of the Mount community will more deeply connect with the University’s founding principles, rooted in our CSJ heritage.
- Members of the Mount community will develop awareness and appreciation of both our common humanity and as well as differences among individuals and groups to develop informed perspectives.
- Members of the Mount community will learn to dialogue with others in a critical and reflective way that promotes fellowship, community and collaboration.
- Members of the Mount community will exhibit behaviors and practices that promotes inclusion, equity and social justice.
Title IX at Mount Saint Mary’s
Support our vision:
“An Unstoppable Campaign for Mount Saint Mary’s University” seeks to further support programs and initiatives that support equity and inclusion both here on campus and beyond. Learn how you can support the Mount’s efforts to ensure that our students learn to lead, serve and work ethically, equitably and effectively in their communities and around the world. msmu.edu/campaign