Starting a bold, new chapter in the history of Mount Saint Mary’s University
Monday, Nov. 13, 2017 / Los Angeles — Mount Saint Mary’s University has announced that it is making a tremendous new investment in its students and in the future of Los Angeles. During a kick-off gala this Saturday, Mount Saint Mary’s revealed that it is launching the largest comprehensive campaign in the 92-year history of L.A.’s only women’s university.
“At Mount Saint Mary’s, we know that education changes lives,” says President Ann McElaney-Johnson. “We’ve seen it time and time again in the lives of our students. Their stories move us. Their ambitions challenge us. Their triumphs inspire us.”
That is why President McElaney-Johnson and the University’s board of trustees have organized “An Unstoppable Campaign for Mount Saint Mary’s University.” The campaign’s leadership has set the lofty goal of raising $100 million by 2020 in order to realize a host of ambitious visions to further support students’ dreams.
Funding priorities include broadening Mount Saint Mary’s rigorous academic programs; sending students to study and conduct research around the world; funding vital student scholarships; redoubling the University’s efforts for the advancement of women in Los Angeles and beyond; and constructing a Wellness Pavilion that will serve as the centerpiece of Mount Saint Mary’s wellness movement that is making the University a national campus model for healthy living.
Over the past two years, lead gifts from longtime supporters have enabled Mount Saint Mary’s to raise $68 million to jump-start this campaign. Now, the University is inviting all to join in this effort to empower new generations of unstoppable students.
“This is a bold but necessary effort if we truly want to support not just our students, but also their families, their future employers, our communities and the world,” says Judith R. McDonald, chair of Mount Saint Mary’s campaign committee.
“We know that supporting bright, dedicated students produces an amazing return on investment for our communities in the form of nurses, teachers, entrepreneurs, public servants, scientists, social workers and more. Our graduates become forces for good in their professions and in communities across Southern California, and beyond.”
KEY CAMPAIGN FUNDING PRIORITIES
- Center for the Advancement of Women: As a women’s university founded on the belief that women are capable of greatness, research and advocacy on issues such as gender parity, equitable opportunity and leadership development are woven into the fabric of Mount Saint Mary’s. This Center is creating a hub for gender equity research, public programming and partnerships dedicated to eradicating gender inequities everywhere.
- Center for Global Initiatives: Through this Center, the University envisions graduating globally educated, culturally fluent leaders who are equipped to change the world. In order to change the world, though, students must first see, experience and understand it. Thanks to an expanded Center for Global Initiatives, more students can be sent out into the world through international internships, service learning and study abroad.
- CSJ Institute: More than 90 years ago, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJs) founded Mount Saint Mary’s to empower women to reach their greatest potential. The University’s new CSJ Institute will preserve and advance the CSJs’ historic commitment to serve all persons without distinction, to respond to the needs of the times and to prepare fearless visionaries for a just future.
- STEM: Women remain woefully underrepresented in STEM careers, which are increasingly becoming the most sought-after and highest-paying occupations in the 21st-century workforce. This campaign will enable Mount Saint Mary’s to develop strong offerings in STEM fields such as computer programming and engineering, and build on the success of our biological and physical sciences programs.
- Nursing: The healthcare industry is facing a long-term nursing shortage, and the vitality of our communities is at stake. That’s why the University’s nursing programs are developing highly qualified nurses who can not only provide patient care, but also help to transform a struggling healthcare system into one that is effective, efficient, community-based and patient centered.
- Academic Innovation and Creativity: Mount Saint Mary’s has some of the most talented, dedicated faculty in higher education. This campaign aims to equip them with more of the resources they need to help students engage and thrive — in the classroom, in the lab and out in the field. Increased funding will enable the University to expand original, faculty-mentored research for undergraduates, honor program initiatives and professional development opportunities.
Mount Saint Mary’s foundation is built on the knowledge that women are capable of greatness, and a belief that women should have the opportunity to contribute their talents at every level of society. They won’t have that opportunity, though, if they cannot afford to attain an education and pursue their greatest aspirations.
“An Unstoppable Campaign” will allow the University to grow its endowment in order to ensure that every student who is prepared for the Mount Saint Mary’s experience can do so. This is especially important considering the rich diversity of students that the University serves, particularly as a designated Hispanic-Serving Institution where more than half of the students are the first members of their families to attend college.
Mount Saint Mary’s believes that it has a responsibility to respond to the needs of the times. And the times are calling for strong, confident and resilient leaders. That’s why its inclusive and empowering Mount Wellness movement is designed to make the University a model for healthy living, and an example that can lead the way for colleges and universities across the nation.
Mount Saint Mary’s planned Wellness Pavilion — the first new building on the University’s original Chalon Campus in more than 30 years — will offer everything students need to master the art of living vigorously. That includes a true fitness center, exercise studios and the campus’ first gymnasium to help students be more physically active; social spaces, quiet rooms and sleep studios to help students de-stress and sleep better; and training rooms, a physical therapy clinic and a peer wellness hub that will enable students to assist each other in attaining their personal health goals.
Join the campaign
“To accomplish all of this and create long-lasting, transformational change, we know that we cannot do this alone,” President McElaney-Johnson said in announcing the campaign. “Together, though, we can start a bold, new chapter in the history of Mount Saint Mary’s University. Thank you for joining us in this mission.”
To learn more about the campaign, and to give, visit msmu.edu/campaign.
About Mount Saint Mary’s University
Mount Saint Mary’s is the only women’s university in Los Angeles and one of the most diverse in the nation. The University is known nationally for its research on gender equity, its innovative health and science programs, and its commitment to community service. As a leading liberal arts institution, Mount Saint Mary’s provides year-round, flexible and online programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Weekend, evening and graduate programs are offered to both women and men. Mount alums are engaged, active, global citizens who use their knowledge and skills to better themselves, their communities and the world. msmu.edu