On Oct. 1-2, Mount Saint Mary’s University will bring together acclaimed and emerging Latino and Latin American writers and filmmakers for this two-day, interactive conference in downtown Los Angeles.
Oct. 1-2: Latino & Latin American Writers Conference in Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 21, 2016 — On Oct. 1-2, Mount Saint Mary’s University will convene a Latino & Latin American Writers Conference in Los Angeles, at the University’s downtown Doheny Campus. This first-time conference brings together acclaimed and emerging Latino and Latin American writers and filmmakers writing from — or in relation to — Los Angeles. Attendees will engage directly with writers in workshops, as well as hear their literary and poetic readings. Participants will have the opportunity to practice their craft in different genres, in both English and Spanish.
The two-day event is presented by Mount Saint Mary’s MFA in Creative Writing program, and will feature renowned writers such as Rocío Cerón, Jorge Ortega and Daniel Olivas, as well as workshops in poetry and fiction, writer panels, author readings and film screenings. The conference will also offer a practical networking space that engages some of the most innovative works being written, staged and produced by leading Latino and Latin American writers.
Attendees who register for both Saturday and Sunday will enjoy a closing reception and dinner inside Mount Saint Mary’s historic Doheny Mansion. The reception will be catered by Chichén Itza and soundtracked by the Latin American band Kimera.
WHAT: Latino & Latin American Writers Conference in Los Angeles
WHEN: October 1-2, 2016
WHERE: Mount Saint Mary’s University / Doheny Campus / 10 Chester Place, L.A.
WHO: Presented by the MFA in Creative Writing program at Mount Saint Mary’s
COST: $50 for one day / $80 for two days
- Rocío Cerón: One of the major Mexican poets of her generation. Read, view and listen to her work at http://rocioceron.com/.
- David Kipen: Author; UCLA writing professor; L.A. Times, L.A. Magazine and KPCC critic-at-large; founder of Libros Schmibros Lending Library at L.A.’s Mariachi Plaza.
- Nylsa Martínez Morón: Mexican author of short fiction and essays; winner of the State Prize for Literature of Baja California.
- Daniel A. Olivas: L.A.-based author of seven books of fiction and nonfiction; a writer and a supervising attorney who earned a law degree from UCLA.
- Jorge Ortega: One of Mexico’s most celebrated contemporary poets; teacher; winner of the Premio Internacional de Poesía Jaime Sabines.
- Wendy C. Ortiz: Author of creative nonfiction and poetry. View and read her work at http://wendyortiz.com/.
- Anthony Seidman: Poet, editor and acclaimed translator of poetry from the northern border region of Mexico.
- David Shook: Writer and poet who has been long-listed for a Dylan Thomas Prize; founding editor of Phoneme Media, a nonprofit publisher of world lit translations.
- Elizabeth Villa: Fiction writer and essayist from Tijuana, Mexico; professor of literature at the Centro Posgrado y Estudios Sor Juana.
- Marcos McPeek Villatoro: Novelist, poet, Emmy-winning commentator & documentary filmmaker; Fletcher Jones Endowed Chair of Writing at Mount Saint Mary’s University.
- Roberto Castillo Udiarte: Known as the godfather of counterculture in Tijuana; author of dozens of collections of poetry, translations and chronicles.
- Gloria Morán: Award-winning filmmaker and writer based in L.A.
- Felix Martiz: Screenwriter; winner of the Cal Arts Rosebud Award for best Student Short Film; graduate of Mount Saint Mary’s MFA in Film and Television program.
About Mount Saint Mary’s MFA in Creative Writing Program
The MFA in Creative Writing at Mount Saint Mary’s University is an artist-training program for students who want to write professionally in the genres of novel, short story, playwriting, poetry, screenplay and nonfiction. The program also offers a Bilingual Creative Writing Study track. In-person courses are available in a flexible weekend format at the University’s historic Doheny Campus near downtown Los Angeles, while hybrid and fully online courses are available to all. https://www.msmu.edu/graduate-programs/creative-writing/
About Mount Saint Mary’s University
Mount Saint Mary’s is the only women’s university in Los Angeles and one of the most diverse in the nation. The University is known nationally for its research on gender equity, its innovative health and science programs, and its commitment to community service. As a leading liberal arts institution, Mount Saint Mary’s provides year-round, flexible and online programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Weekend, evening and graduate programs are offered to women and men. Mount alums are engaged, active, global citizens who use their knowledge and skills to better themselves, their communities and the world. msmu.edu