Mount Opens Doheny Mansion for April Public Tours
March 11, 2009 -- The Doheny Mansion at Mount Saint Mary’s University, former estate of early-1900s oil baron Edward L. Doheny, opens for public tours at 9, 9:45, 10:30, and 11:15 a.m. on April 4, 2009. The tours come as the College continues to expand its new group Friends of the Doheny Mansion, which is dedicated to raising funds to restore this historic property.
The College also recently partnered with the LA Conservancy to provide residents and visitors with tour information for historic architecture and sites spanning the Los Angeles region. To see the list of tours, go to www.laconservancy.org and click on Walking Tours, then Tour Partners.
Home to the Doheny family for nearly 60 years, the Gothic Renaissance-style Victorian mansion was designed by Theodore Augustus Eisen and Sumner P. Hunt in 1898. Doheny and his wife, Carrie Estelle Doheny, frequently remodeled the mansion and added the famous Pompeian Room with iridescent Tiffany glass dome and imported Siena marble.
Public tours, which cost $25 a person, include the first floor of the mansion and surrounding grounds. Some discounts apply. Call 213.477.2962 for tour information, or go to www.dohenymansion.org for tour information and other mansion news. The mansion is located near downtown Los Angeles at No. 8 Chester Place, Los Angeles, CA 90007.
To learn more about the Dohenys, read the new book "The Doheny Mansion: A Biography of a Home," by mansion Curator MaryAnn Bonino. The book presents historical highlights of the rise of the Dohenys from modest means to world-class hosts who invited movie stars, financiers, and politicians into their home. All proceeds from book sales go toward mansion conservation. The book is available for purchase through www.dacamera.org.