On Saturday, April 8, Mount Saint Mary's University will host Ready to Run, a nonpartisan campaign training designed to prepare women to enter public service.
Learning how to run for office
‘Ready to Run’ at Mount Saint Mary’s University
LOS ANGELES, April 4, 2017 — Women make up 50 percent of the U.S. population. Yet, in California, women currently account for only 22 percent of the state legislature. Nationally, women comprise just 19 percent of the U.S. Congress.
Those are just two areas of public service where women’s voices, experience and leadership are lacking — and needed. That’s why, on Saturday, April 8, Mount Saint Mary’s University will host Ready to Run®, a nonpartisan campaign-training program specifically designed to prepare women to run for office, get appointed to leadership positions, work on a campaign, or otherwise get involved in public service.
Prominent political leaders, strategists and campaign professionals will provide practical advice and behind-the-scenes tips from their careers in the political arena, as well as guidance on how to remain confident, healthy and resilient during what can be a grueling process. Trainees will be able to network, ask questions and take home the information needed to hit the ground running.
This year’s opening keynote will be delivered by Yvonne B. Burke, the first African-American woman to represent California in the U.S. Congress. The closing keynote speaker is Barbara Boxer, the longtime former U.S. senator from California.
Ready to Run®
Saturday, April 8
8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Mount Saint Mary’s University
10 Chester Place, Los Angeles 90007
Tickets, schedule and more: msmu.edu/R2R
Media are invited to attend this event, with the exceptions of the closing keynote by Sen. Barbara Boxer and the networking reception following the main program. Photos and quotes may be made available following the event. For press passes and inquiries, contact Phillip Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kathryn Barger, supervisor, Los Angeles County
- Barbara Boxer, former U.S. senator
- Yvonne B. Burke, former U.S. representative, L.A. County supervisor and California assembly member
- Lynn Daucher, former state assembly member
- Jackie Filla, associate professor of politics, Mount Saint Mary’s University
- Carina Franck-Pantone, political strategist, campaign manager and finance director
- Julissa Gomez, vice chair, Latinas Lead CA
- Ana Guerrero, chief of staff, Office of Mayor Eric Garcetti
- Karriann Farrell Hinds, commissioner, City of Los Angeles Commission on the Status of Women
- Lindsey Horvath, councilmember, City of West Hollywood
- Amy Howorth, former mayor, Manhattan Beach
- Sheila James Kuehl, supervisor, Los Angeles County
- Abbe Land, former mayor and councilmember, City of West Hollywood
- Nury Martinez, councilmember, City of Los Angeles
- Elizabeth Matthews, public relations executive and co-founder, Female Forward
- Ann McElaney-Johnson, president, Mount Saint Mary’s University
- Rebecca Ninburg, commissioner, City of Los Angeles Board of Fire Commissioners
- Celestine Palmer, founder, Los Angeles African American Women Political Action Committee
- Mona Pasquil, appointments secretary, Office of Gov. Edmund G. Brown, Jr.
- Eloise Gómez Reyes, state assembly member, District 47
- Naomi Seligman, director of communications, Office of Mayor Eric Garcetti
- Grace Yoo, executive director, Korean American Coalition
- What it takes for women to get elected and govern
- A beginner’s guide to political fundraising
- The endorsement process
- Women who win: lessons from successful campaigns
- How to use social media to develop your brand or start a political movement
- From grassroots to City Hall: how to build a political power
- Creating impactful messaging and tricks to political communication
- Choosing issues that matter to you
- Combining politics with motherhood
- How to get involved as a young woman
- The political appointments process
About Ready to Run®
Ready to Run® is produced through Mount Saint Mary’s University’s Center for the Advancement of Women and sponsored by the University’s Department of History and Political Science. Mount Saint Mary’s is the exclusive Southern California provider of Ready to Run®, in partnership with the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. msmu.edu/R2R
About Mount Saint Mary’s University
Mount Saint Mary’s is the only women’s university in Los Angeles and one of the most diverse in the nation. The University is known nationally for its research on gender equity, its innovative health and science programs, and its commitment to community service. As a leading liberal arts institution, Mount Saint Mary’s provides year-round, flexible and online programs at the undergraduate and graduate level. Weekend, evening and graduate programs are offered to both women and men. Mount alums are engaged, active, global citizens who use their knowledge and skills to better themselves, their communities and the world. msmu.edu