Former Home of L.A. Oil Baron Open to Public
Feb. 6, 2008 -- The Doheny Mansion at Mount Saint Mary’s University, former home of early-1900s oil baron Edward L. Doheny, opens for public tours at 9:45, 10:30, and 11:15 a.m. on March 1, 2008.
Home to the Doheny family for almost 60 years, the Gothic Renaissance-style Victorian mansion was designed by Theodore Augustus Eisen and Sumner P. Hunt in 1898. Doheny and his wife, Carrie Estelle Doheny, frequently remodeled the mansion and added the famous Pompeian Room with iridescent Tiffany glass dome and imported Siena marble.
Public tours, which cost $25 a person, include the first floor of the mansion and surrounding grounds. Seniors are $15, and other discounts apply. Call 213.477.2962 for tour information or visit the newly-created web pages for information on tours and other mansion news at www.dohenymansion.org.
Reporters and editors interested in touring the mansion or speaking with the mansion curator should contact Marie Blakey in the Public Relations Department at 213.477.2505 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The mansion is located near downtown Los Angeles at 10 Chester Place, Los Angeles, CA 90007.
For more on the mansion, click here.