Doheny Mansion Opens for Winter Tour
Jan. 15, 2010 -- The Doheny Mansion at Mount Saint Mary’s University, former estate of early-1900s oil baron Edward L. Doheny, opens for a winter public tour at 11:15 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 23, 2010. Last summer, the College began the first extensive restoration of the home in 70 years, and visitors will be able to see this work up close.
The first phase of exterior renovations, which have been completed, includes reinforcement of the roof of the Gothic Renaissance-style Victorian mansion. The home's central architectural element is a cupola-capped turret rising from the ground floor to the left of the property's exotic, red-marble grand entry. The turret had begun to lean into the building, so contractors added steel supports to reinforce existing framing in order to prevent further damage.
Other major restoration includes exterior stucco work, painting the home's facade, and waterproofing and preserving the roof in addition to repairing damaged copper finials. The stained glass and dome in the famous Pompeian Room were cleaned and repaired.
To support restoration efforts, the College continues to expand its group Friends of the Doheny Mansion.
Home to the Doheny family for nearly 60 years, the mansion was designed by Theodore Augustus Eisen and Sumner P. Hunt in 1898. Doheny and his wife, Carrie Estelle Doheny, frequently remodeled the mansion. Public tours, which cost $25 a person, include the first floor of the mansion and surrounding grounds. Some discounts apply. Call 213.477.2962 for tour information, or go to www.dohenymansion.org for tour information and other mansion news. The mansion is located near downtown Los Angeles at No. 8 Chester Place, Los Angeles, CA 90007.
To learn more about the Dohenys, read the book "The Doheny Mansion: A Biography of a Home," by mansion Curator MaryAnn Bonino. All proceeds from book sales go toward mansion conservation. The book is available for purchase through www.dacamera.org.